Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Icons of the past...



But who will be the next Rock God/Pop Star/Cultural Icon...?
That's the question which has me in a fit of laughter.
The Guardian blog asked it and people have disagreed and argued to no end.

The Guardian have their list as the following:

1950s: Elvis Presley
1960s: Bob Dylan
1970s: David Bowie
1980s: Madonna
1990s: Kurt Cobain
2000s: ???

Shocking list from Graeme Thomson.

In my opinion, Michael Jackson was surely more iconic and influential than Madonna?!
What about Led Zeppelin and the God Jimi Hendrix...?!?!?!?





For the noughties, I can honestly only come up with 2 people right now:
Eminem & Jack White.

The Radio-heads (see what I did there?!?) will obviously think Thom Yorke.
And fair enough, but I think Marshall Mathers and Jack White have had the biggest influence on music since the turn of the millenium.

Check out the Guardian blog for yourself and see what you think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eminem, I would never have thought him, but I suppose it makes sense.
He's had more impact than Jack White surely?

Jim Dubh said...

Bono... he saved the world, brought music to the masses, and made the "shades and stubble" look de rigeur.

Even icon seems too small a term to capture the man's greatness.